God’s timing can drive me crazy!

One of the most difficult aspects of my relationship with God is my having to wait for his timing. I want this to happen now. I don’t want this to happen now. I don’t want this to happen at all. I want this always to happen. Whatever which way, I can feel pulled from pillar to post, frustrated that my plans, at best, are often only half-baked and half-fulfilled. What, then, can I do?

First, I must honestly confess that his timing can drive me crazy! So, in this confession, I cannot and should not hide behind a veil of false piety and pretend I am happy with the way things are (Jeremiah 23:24; Job chapters 26-31) – God can see through this lying nonsense, and as he wants me to lie bare my soul (Psalm 38:9). Second, I must wait, but pray that in the waiting (Isaiah 40:31), I will learn deep things about myself, and learn the hardest of lessons, to trust in God’s timing and not my own (James 5:7-8). This kind of trust, though, is not sugar-coated; it is not an easy trust; it is a trust in the unknown, the unrevealed, a trust which requires my faith in a loving God, who has my best interest at heart, regardless of what happens (2 Peter 3:9). 

Click on book cover image on this blog's home page for information on my book Nine Steps to Well-Being: A Spiritual Guide for Disconnected Christians and Other Questioning Journeyers - first three chapters are FREE!! 

Comments

  1. Interesting post! I am sure we are all guilty of this to a certain extent =)). Thanks for sharing this post; stay blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for you comment Funmi - really appreciate it. Part of what I am trying to do, I think, is to be honest about my faith - warts and all - and somehow show that wrestling with God can get you closer to him, in the end! God bless you. Steve

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts