Don't worry about God being silent sometimes: it can be a sign that he is very close

There are times when God chooses to remain silent in our lives for various reasons concerning what we  need. For example, we might need the space to take in what he has already said to us, with more words simply cluttering this space and distracting us from learning the deeper lessons he wants to teach us. So, his silence is a way of him passing the responsibility over to us and for us to meditate on what we already know is right, good, noble, lovely, admirable etc (and see Philippians 4:8). Whereas, if God kept 'spoon-feeding' us with words (however true these words might be) then we would not be able to grow-up and mature as believers, fully chewing on and digesting what he has up to now said to us.

I know that I have often been too anxious to hear God's word and can become disappointed if he is not telling me anything new. I have learnt at this point (albeit rather too slowly) that I should wait more and meditate further on what I already know. I have also learnt that far from God abandoning me when he is silent in this way, that in these times he is very close - that is, as I sit quietly and rest in what I now have. Following the instruction in Psalm 46:10 I can then be still and know that he is God.

Click on book cover image on this blog's home page for information on my book Nine Steps to Well-Being: A Spiritual Guide for Disconnected Christians and Other Questioning Journeyers - first three chapters are FREE!!

Comments

  1. Don't be to anxious, as long as people who love you think of you, everything is alright

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts