Teaching, and the qualities of gentleness and humility

I have been meditating a lot lately on the importance of the qualities of humility and gentleness, and especially as these qualities relate to the gift of teaching. Why? Because I am often not that gentle or humble, but I still have a role as a teacher (I'm a University Professor). Plus, Christ slips these qualities in (almost without anyone noticing!) - these being central to why we are able to learn from Him as we relieve ourselves of our heavy loads and take on His light burden. So, in Mathew 11:28-30, Jesus offers this wonderfully liberating invitation:

"Come to me all those who are weary and heavy laden and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in spirit, and I will give rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." (my emphasis).

Even for the greatest of all teachers, learning, then, is only possible if the teacher is first gentle and humble. Wow!! What a lesson for the teacher. If we have any aspirations to teach we must first not throw our weight around, and we must not assume we are better than others; only that way will people be able to learn!!

Click on book cover image on this blog's home page for information on my book Nine Steps to Well-Being: A Spiritual Guide for Disconnected Christians and Other Questioning Journeyers - first three chapters are FREE!!

Comments

Popular Posts