Hope and Futility

Hope and futility are more closely related than we think, insofar as the latter, against expectations, can promote the former. What do I mean by this? Well, we need to fully realise and acknowledge, and without alarm, that our lives are utterly transitory and fleeting, before we then can wait expectantly on God alone to deliver us from our own vanities and pride. This waiting and expectation is the foundation of hope, as we look beyond the futility of our petty lives to a God who is infinitely larger and more loving and embracing than we could ever imagine.

According to Psalm 39:5-8 (from the Amplified Bible):

“Behold, You have made my days as [short as] hand-breaths, and my lifetime is as nothing in Your sight. Truly every man at his best is merely a breath! Selah [pause, and think calmly of that]! Surely, every man walks to and fro – like a shadow in a pantomime, surely for futility and emptiness he is in turmoil: each one heaps up riches not knowing who will gather them. And now, Lord, what do I wait for and expect? My hope and expectation are in You. Deliver me from all my transgressions; make me not the scorn and reproach of the [self-confident] fool.” 

For details of my book, Nine Steps to Well-Being: A Spiritual Guide for Disconnected Christians and Other Questioning Journeyers go to my blog’s home page http://disconnectedchristians.blogspot.co.uk/ or to the publishers website ‘Whispering Tree Original Books’ where the first three chapters can be accessed FREE! http://www.whisperingtreeoriginalbooks.com/?page_id=40

Comments

Popular Posts