Simple formula: in heaven perfection cannot blend with imperfection

Let’s just say there is a heaven, which, of course, would have to be a place of perfection by definition. A place of perfect love, perfect joy, perfect peace, perfect laughter, perfect dancing, perfect singing, perfect beauty, perfect all. Now, naturally enough, I want to be there, participating in this perfect place, forever. Who wouldn’t? But, how can I be there as I am? For I have my many, many imperfections, which even if they diminish (that is, if I am Holy enough, which I am mostly not) these will never wholly go away  – my weaknesses, my hang-ups, my tantrums, my selfishness, my ego-trips, my fears, my hates, my aggressiveness, my judgements, my disappointments, my all about me-ness. So, as Groucho Marx wouldn’t join a club who would have him as a member, I couldn’t ever join heaven as I am, as I would definitely spoil it. And, of course, this very simple formula is the same for you too!

What can we do then? We cannot be perfect on our own efforts, certainly, as our efforts, however hard we try, are tainted by these imperfections in the first place; and we would be very foolish or deluded if we thought we could break this ancient Catch-22. So the only option is to believe in a God who washes us clean, taking our imperfections away from us. But how does he do this? He makes himself into a kind of divine piece of blotting paper, where the stains from our lives are removed and placed on him, and where he becomes our imperfections in order to make us perfect (and see 2 Corinthians 5:21). Therefore, although we can’t make ourselves perfect for sure, we can trust in a God who became human in order for him to make us perfect through his love. In other words, he makes everything his fault and not ours by dying for us, and so we can now enter heaven, assured that we are clothed with his perfection. 


Click on book cover image on this blog's home page for information on my book Nine Steps to Well-Being: A Spiritual Guide for Disconnected Christians and Other Questioning Journeyers - first three chapters are FREE!!

Comments

  1. Yes, he does cloth us! This should also cause us to RELAX and stop trying so hard to make ourselves perfect. I think we have much more leeway to make choices in life than many Christians believe. I was raised in a denomination where we were constantly warned against doing something wrong and sinning. We lived under a cloud of fear and doubt. When I thought about my own motive for wanting to know God and make good choices, I realized it was from Love not fear and that changed the whole picture for me. I found liberty and knew that my relationship was between me and God; not me, God, the minister, the Sunday School teacher and everyone else at church. If I loved and served God better, I would automatically love and serve people better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent comment - many thanks for this. Your testimony speaks volumes - God bless you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts