Being still and knowing God

The command in Psalm 46:10, to: ‘Be still and know that I am God’ prompts a response from me to stop my mind trying to ‘work it all out’, and prevents me from fruitlessly building some sort of foundation for knowledge and understanding in science, reason and logic. This has also helped me to meditate on Proverbs 3:5: ‘Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your understanding’ (My emphasis). Here, my trust in God does not derive from me coming to an objective meaning and understanding about God’s purpose, love, will, and so on, but rather from a more subjective heart-felt trust, which depends on God regardless of what I may or may not objectively understand about God and the world we live in. The invitation from Scripture, then, is that we should not try and explain the world objectively as a whole through reason and logic and so use our own understanding to explain the world. That is, as if this can ‘do the work’ in making sense of the world, and so giving meaning to our lives. Rather, we should subjectively trust in God and Christ which then gives us purpose that is beyond the limits of our understanding, but which allows us to see and experience God’s love, and the world aright.

Comments

Popular Posts