An example of the subtlety of self-deceit (and sin)

It is relatively easy to follow what we are inclined to do, consistent with our personalities and temperament; and then, as God blesses us in these inclinations, to, naturally enough, assume we are on the right track always. So, I follow what I am inclined to do often with a very single-minded focus, consistent with my highly enthusiastic and excitable personality and temperament. I know God, in his love for me, has blessed these aspects of myself, and in the process has used and developed my gifts accordingly, for mine and other people’s benefit. However, what I often do not see, as I express myself these ways, is that I also get carried away with who I am in relation to God. What I mean by this is that I often deceive myself into thinking (whether consciously or unconsciously) that the ‘I’ that has been blessed is the one driving it all, because God has blessed me. The blessing, in other words, is seemingly an indication from God that I am alright being in control. The subtlety of this self-deceit is where my sin is located, as I believe I am doing God’s will who has blessed me in my personality and temperament certainly, but then falsely assume that God has helped me to be self-sufficient as a result. Consequently, in my single-mindedness and enthusiasm I race ahead, intent on doing God’s work for sure, but then I fail to wait for him, and then receive his anointment. Or, as it says in Psalm 46:10 I fail to be still with him; I also fail to know that he is God, and not me!  

Click on book cover image on this blog's home page for information on my book Nine Steps to Well-Being: A Spiritual Guide for Disconnected Christians and Other Questioning Journeyers - first three chapters are FREE!!

Comments

  1. Love your honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think of an excited Labrador puppy running through a field ahead of his master...but once the master calls the dogs name...the puppy runs straight back..they do but dont they. In a funny way its sweet...not to be self sufficient but to be excited and eager.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts